Thursday, July 14, 2022

Book Spotlight Fridays! The Extraordinary Deaths of Mrs. Kip


Book Beginnings and Friday56


Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your e-reader and share a non-spoiler sentence or two.  First Line Friday is a weekly meme hosted by Reading is my Superpower that asks you to share the first sentence of the book you're reading.

This week I'm featuring a Debut author.


The Extraordinary Deaths of Mrs. Kip






About the book:

Aidyn Kelley is talented, ambitious, and ready for a more serious assignment than the fluff pieces she’s been getting as a cub reporter for the Kansas City Star. In her eagerness, she pushes too hard, earning herself the menial task of writing an obituary for an unremarkable woman who’s just entered hospice care. But there’s more to Clara Kip than meets the eye. The spirited septuagenarian may be dying, but she’s not quite ready to cash it in yet. Never one to shy away from an assignment herself, she can see that God brought the young reporter into her life for a reason. And if it’s a story Aidyn Kelley wants, that’s just what Mrs. Kip will give her—but she’s going to have to work for it.

*************************************************************

Book Beginnings

Clara Kip had prayed repeatedly to die in São Paulo.

Friday 56

"Mrs. Kip, I'm just here to keep you company," Jimmy said.
"You're here to keep me guarded, honey."

My thoughts so far

The first 47% flew by.  Clara is a spunky 80ish lady and I'm interested to also discover her story along with Aidyn.

*************************************************************

14 comments:

  1. That opening grabs your attention. I'd read on to find out why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this debut. One of my top picks for the year. Mrs. Kip is a corker.
    My first line comes from Heirlooms by Sandra Byrd:
    March 1958
    Helen Devries carefully removed her nurse’s cap, fluffing her platinum , back combed bouffant, crackling the Aqua Net laquering it in place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a great read! I love it when books bring together two spunky women from different generations so that both can learn and grow, even if one is on her deathbed! I hope you enjoy the rest of it and that you have a lovely weekend :)
    Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is so much wisdom and life lessons to learn from older women.

      Delete
  4. Happy Friday!
    I’m just starting Hope Between the Pages by Pepper Basham, so I’ll share a line from there.
    “For the entire afternoon, I waited for a summons to meet with Mrs. Vanderbilt, but the fateful moment never came.”
    I hope you have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a book I would like to read!! :-) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a sweet book.

    Have a great weekend!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2022/07/15/friday-56-paris-for-one-by-jojo-moyes/

    ReplyDelete
  7. These excerpts grabbed my interest. Sounds like a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one is on my list. I can't wait to read it!

    Stop by and see what I'm reading.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been hearing such wonderful things about this book. I really want to read. Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been seeing this one around quite a bit.

    My first line is from A Need to Protect by Susanne Dietze: https://daniellegrandinetti.com/2022/07/15/a-need-to-protect/

    Hope you've had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Weekend Wrap-up: April 28th

    It’s Monday! What are you reading?   is hosted by  Book Date . We had fun this past weekend celebrating King's Day. Finished (Review...