Friday, March 19, 2021

Book Spotlight Fridays! The Bride Collector

 

Book Beginnings and Friday56


Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your e-reader and share a non-spoiler sentence or two.

I'm taking a bit longer reading the book I'm spotlighting this week.  Mainly because it is a Paperback and my time to read Paperbacks is so limited.  I usually read on my kindle in the dark.


The Bride Collector



About the book:

FBI Special agent Brad Raines is facing his toughest case yet. A Denver serial killer has killed four beautiful young women, leaving a bridal veil at each crime scene, and he's picking up his pace. Unable to crack the case, Raines appeals for help from a most unusual source: residents of the Center for Wellness and Intelligence, a private psychiatric institution for mentally ill individuals whose are extraordinarily gifted.

It's there that he meets Paradise, a young woman who witnessed her father murder her family and barely escaped his hand. Diagnosed with schizophrenia, Paradise may also have an extrasensory gift: the ability to experience the final moments of a person's life when she touches the dead body.

In a desperate attempt to find the killer, Raines enlists Paradise's help. In an effort to win her trust, he befriends this strange young woman and begins to see in her qualities that most 'sane people' sorely lack. Gradually, he starts to question whether sanity resides outside the hospital walls...or inside.

As the Bride Collector picks up the pace-and volume-of his gruesome crucifixions, the case becomes even more personal to Raines when his friend and colleague, a beautiful young forensic psychologist, becomes the Bride Collector's next target.

The FBI believes that the killer plans to murder seven women. Can Paradise help before it's too late?

*************************************************************

Book Beginnings

"Thank you, Detective.  We'll take it from here."

Friday 56 (page 56)

He snapped the phone shut.
"You think it's something?"
"It's a lead," he said.  "He's playing us, right?  So let's play."

My thoughts so far

Ted Dekker is a new to me author and I'm finding he plays a lot with my mind.  Looking forward to continue this book.

*************************************************************

6 comments:

  1. I love the mix between the supernatural and crime novels! I'm definitely keeping my eyes open for this one. I hope you enjoy it despite (or because of?) the mind games ;) I hope you have a lovely week and do drop by my Friday post if you have the time! - Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Bride Collector seems interesting. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this one and hope you do too! Happy memeversary weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been way too long since I've read Dekker, I need to catch up!

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  5. "He snapped the phone shut" I am picturing the phone. Is it set in the early 2000s?

    ReplyDelete

Weekend Wrap-Up: May 5th

    It’s Monday! What are you reading?   is hosted by  Book Date . We had a wonderful week of summer weather which meant lunch picnics at th...