Thursday, February 4, 2021

Book Spotlight Fridays! Opening Moves by Steven James

 

Book Beginnings and Friday56


Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your e-reader and share a non-spoiler sentence or two.


This week I'm currently reading:

Opening Moves


About the book:

In The Bowers Files novels, FBI Special Agent Patrick Bowers has stopped some of the most vicious serial killers ever imagined. Now, in the fifth exciting installment, author Steven James takes readers back to Bowers’s terrifying beginning.

Milwaukee, 1997. In a city reeling from the crimes of Jeffrey Dahmer, a series of gruesome kidnappings and mutilations draw authorities into a case like nothing they’ve ever seen. Cops think a Dahmer copycat is on the loose.

But Patrick Bowers, working as a homicide detective, suspects this is more than an ode to the infamous cannibal. When he discovers that the shocking acts reference some of the most notorious and macabre killers in our nation’s history, the investigation spirals into a nightmare of manipulation, brutality, and terror.

Wielding groundbreaking investigative techniques, Bowers must now face off with a killer who will stop at nothing to get his message out to the world. Chilling, gritty, and packed with twists and turns, Opening Moves is Steven James’s most heart-pounding novel yet.

*************************************************************

Book Beginnings

Vincent Hayes stepped cautiously into the bar, trying unsuccessfully to still his heart, to quiet his apprehension.  He'd never done this before, never tried to pick up a man.

Friday 56

A private little torture chamber.  That's what our guy had constructed. (45%)

My thoughts so far

Oh my, this is one of the creepiest thrillers I've read so far.  Think Hannibal and Saw!  Not for sensitive readers!  I actually need to read a lighter book along with this one!

16 comments:

  1. I am intrigued. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “THE SHADOW BOX”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. The first book in this series was also great. Not as creepy but still a great thriller.

      Delete
  2. I like to read books set in the near past. None of the technology we use today but I can still relate to the setting and the way characters act and think. My quotes this week

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you. The description and the quote for the 56 are eerie. I can only imagine the kind of tone the rest of the story has.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is actually good. The author has a nice balance of creepy chapters and then a bit more normal chapters.

      Delete
  4. hmm, I wonder how it turned out, probably not too well, lol
    My post is here https://francebooktours.com/2021/02/05/loving-modigliani-book-beginnings/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nope, not too good but totally different to what I thought from that opening lines.

      Delete
  5. This sounds intense! You've got me curious. I can see why you'd want to read a lighter book alongside this one. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Can only handle so much creepy at once!

      Delete
  6. Oh I am so intrigued! Sounds sadistic but I like that in a thriller! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really good thriller. I'm only reading something else along so that I can sleep!

      Delete
  7. This is a new-to-me series. It sounds thrilling and fast-paced--the best qualities for ongoing series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really good! The first book was just as thrilling, little less creepy.

      Delete
  8. I've enjoyed what I've read from James and I'd like to try more in the future.

    ReplyDelete

Review: Flashpoint

Flashpoint by Susan May Warren My rating: ๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’› I loved catching up with Emily Micah who I first met as a little gi...