Thursday, October 20, 2022

Book Spotlight Fridays! The Secrets of Emberwild


Book Beginnings and Friday56


Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your e-reader and share a non-spoiler sentence or two.  First Line Friday is a weekly meme hosted by Reading is my Superpower that asks you to share the first sentence of the book you're reading.

This is a new to me author.


The Secrets of Emberwild





About the book:

A gifted trainer in a time women are not allowed to race, Nora Fenton prefers horses to men. They're easier to handle, they're more reliable, and they never tell her what to do. After her father's passing, Nora is determined to save her struggling horse farm, starting with entering her prize colt into the harness races at the 1905 Mississippi Fair. If she wins, she may have a chance at independence. But when a stranger arrives and starts asking disconcerting questions, she suspects he may have other motives than unseating her in the training job that is rightfully hers.

Silas Cavallero will do whatever it takes to solve the mystery of his father's death--even if it means training an unwieldy colt for Nora, who wants nothing more than to see him gone. But when mysterious accidents threaten their safety and circumstances shrouded in secrets begin unlocking clues to his past, Silas will have to decide if the truth is worth risking ruining everything for the feisty woman he's come to admire.

*************************************************************

Book Beginnings

Freedom rushed through Nora Fenton's veins, erupting with each breath.

Friday 56

This was ridiculous.  Nora picked her way across the yard, holding the lantern low so she could see where she stepped.

My thoughts so far

So far I am enjoying this one.  If you have watched Heartland then you would also enjoy this story.

                                    ************************************************************* 

17 comments:

  1. Both those teasers are descriptive in a good way. They invite me in and make me want to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds good. I haven't read a horse related story in so long!
    Have a great weekend!
    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2022/10/21/friday-56-fingersmith-by-sarah-waters/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Heartland! Nice choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Currently watching the series Heartland, so enjoying this one.

      Delete
  4. Secrets of Emberwild is coming up for me to read.
    My first line is from the creepy good book by Jaime Jo Wright, The Premonition at Withers Farm:
    August 1910
    When death came to visit, no one ever prepared tea and cookies.
    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read this one in September! Scary but good like all of Jaime's books.

      Delete
  5. I am currently reading Godmersham Park by Gill Hornby. It's pretty awesome!
    "Anne did not stay long at the party. She was still not in quite the right mood."
    I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do enjoy Heartland!! I hope you enjoy it, have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read this one recently, and the author was new to me as well! This week I featured Body of Evidence by Irene Hannon in my FLF post. http://gracetogrowblog.com/body-evidence-irene-hannon/

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one is up on my list to read soon as well.

      Delete
  8. I have this one on my tbr shelf. The cover is so gorgeous. I've been reading The Christmas Switch by Zoey Marie Jackson. The first line is: Chanel Houston tossed her keys in her purse and reached into the back seat of her sister's 2002 Honda Civic to grab one of the boxes of books. ~ Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

Review: A Dance in Donegal

A Dance in Donegal by Jennifer Deibel My rating: ๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’› This was a beautifully written debut set in Ireland. ...