Thursday, October 13, 2022

Book Spotlight Friday! The Lost Melody

 

Book Beginnings and Friday56


Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your e-reader and share a non-spoiler sentence or two.  First Line Friday is a weekly meme hosted by Reading is my Superpower that asks you to share the first sentence of the book you're reading.

Since discovering Joanna Davidson Politana, I have enjoyed her historical mysteries.


The Lost Melody






About the book:

When concert pianist Vivienne Mourdant's father dies, he leaves to her the care of an adult ward she knew nothing about. The woman is supposedly a patient at Hurstwell Asylum. The woman's portrait is shockingly familiar to Vivienne, so when the asylum claims she was never a patient there, Vivienne is compelled to discover what happened to the figure she remembers from childhood dreams.

The longer she lingers in the deep shadows and forgotten towers at Hurstwell, the fuzzier the line between sanity and madness becomes. She hears music no one else does, receives strange missives with rose petals between the pages, and untangles far more than is safe for her to know. But can she uncover the truth about the mysterious woman she seeks? And is there anyone at Hurstwell she can trust with her suspicions?

Fan-favorite Joanna Davidson Politano casts a delightful spell with this lyrical look into the nature of women's independence and artistic expression during the Victorian era--and now.

*************************************************************

Book Beginnings

One day in late May of the year 1886, I found myself imprisoned in the Hurstwell Pauper Lunatic Asylum.

Friday 56

What I'm beginning to realize is that this place is filled with people who needs help...but the point is that they are people, broken or not.

My thoughts so far

This one is a bit slower for me, and there is some scenes which is a bit difficult to read, but I really want to see how the mystery will be solved.

                                    ************************************************************* 

26 comments:

  1. I actually haven't heard of this author before. The quotes are interesting. Enjoy your current read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this does sound tough to read. That page 56 quote is so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see where this would be a tough read. Hope you find it rewarding in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've actually heard of this one.... Now I just can't remember if it was here on your site earlier. Still think this will be a good read. I hop you enjoy it!

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most likely since I did do a Can't Wait Wednesday a few weeks back.

      Delete
  5. I am currently reading The Belle of Belgrave Square by Mimi Matthews. I am loving it!
    "Later that morning, after a brief stop at Doctors' Commons, Jasper bounded up the steps of the Wychwood townhouse in Belgrave Square."
    I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds intriguing. I hope it all comes together!

    Have a great weekend!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2022/10/14/friday-56-the-ex-hex-by-erin-sterling/

    ReplyDelete
  7. That’s my book too!
    My first line this week comes from a breathtaking book The Lost Melody by Joanna Politano.
    One day in late May of the year 1886, I found myself imprisoned in the Hurstwell Pauper Lunatic Asylum. This was unconscionable—- I had never been a pauper.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That 56 is so true even if this is fiction. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Men were much more likely to put women in insane asylums if they wanted them out of the way in the olden days. It was astonishing how often it happened.

    My quotes this week at HeadFullofBooks

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. I did - though it was not one of my favourites of hers.

      Delete
  11. I have this one to read as well. I hate that it's a bit of a slower read. Hopefully it picks up. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, the slow pace made me just want to get it over with.

      Delete
  12. I’ve heard a lot about this book lately! This week I shared the first line from The Secrets of Emberwild by Stephenia H. McGee. http://gracetogrowblog.com/secrets-of-emberwild-stephenia-mcgee/

    Have a great rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have this book on my tbr list and I'm looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete

Review: A Dance in Donegal

A Dance in Donegal by Jennifer Deibel My rating: ๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’› This was a beautifully written debut set in Ireland. ...