Thursday, January 6, 2022

Book Spotlight Fridays! The Oath

 

Book Beginnings and Friday56


Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your e-reader and share a non-spoiler sentence or two.

I love Frank Peretti's stories and can't believe I delayed in reading this one: 


The Oath




About the book:

Something sinister is at work in Hyde River, an isolated mining town in the mountains of the Pacific North-west. Something evil.

Under the cover of darkness, a predator strikes without warning - taking life in the most chilling and savage fashion.

The community of Hyde River watches in terror as residents suddenly vanish. Yet, the more the locals are pressed for information, the more they close ranks, sworn to secrecy by their forefathers' hidden sins.

Only when Hyde River's secrets are exposed is the true extent of the danger fully revealed. What the town discovers is something far more deadly than anything they'd imagined. Something that doesn't just stalk its victims, but has the power to turn hearts black with decay as it slowly fills their souls with darkness.

*************************************************************

Book Beginnings

SHE RAN, tree limbs and brambles scratching, grabbing, tripping, and slapping her as if they were bony hands, reaching for her out of the darkness.

Friday 56

With that, Levi almost laughed.  "Charlie, are you scared of something?"  Charlie said nothing, but Levi didn't think Charlie could deny it, seeing as he was hiding it so poorly.

My thoughts so far

So far this is interesting and I'm wondering what is going on.

*************************************************************

13 comments:

  1. Hi Sarita! Aaaah yea! This is my favorite Frank Peretti book by far. It's just brilliant. I hope you ennjoy it! Let me know.

    Have a good weekend!

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Slowly working my way through all of his books!

      Delete
  2. It's been ages since I've read anything by him - I should get caught up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh it's always dramatic when the sins of the father haunt the child! I don't think I've ever read anything by Frank Peretti, so thank you for bringing him to my attention! I hope you have a lovely weekend :) Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - some people will warn you not to read his books at night :-)

      Delete
  4. The opening is quite intense and from the description, I imagine this one would be difficult to put down. This is a new to me author. This book sounds so haunting. I will have to check it out. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I just struggle to find time for paperbacks!

      Delete
  5. I know my husband and son have both read Frank Peretti but I don't think I have...maybe I should. I look forward to hearing what you think about it. Have a good weekend! https://cindysbookcorner.blogspot.com/2022/01/first-line-friday-33-fresh-scars.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like dark thrillers/monster type stories, you should like it - but with a deeper meaning.

      Delete
  6. It's been a long time since I read any Frank Peretti. I remember reading him in high school and was sure that the end of the world was at hand. Hmm. My Friday quotes

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very atmospheric!!! I like it! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Can't Wait Wednesday! Hunting Justice

Can't Wait Wednesday  is a weekly meme hosted by  Wishful Endings  that spotlights and discusses the books we're excited about that ...