Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Review: Dead End

Dead End Dead End by Nancy Mehl
My rating: πŸ’›πŸ’›πŸ’›πŸ’›

Of course, when she’d found God, she realized that had to change. Little by little, she was learning to trust Him, but trusting people was still a problem. She liked to refer to herself as a work in progress. Unfortunately, in some areas the progress part was pretty slow.

I enjoyed this final book in the series. I felt like we began to see Kaely on a bit more emotional deeper level as we got to see more about her past with her dad's serial killing spree and how that affected her back as a teenager, her current career path and her fear of the future. I'm also glad to have seen more of Noah's emotional past with his first wife's death and how it caused a break in his walk with God, but also how he found his way back to a relationship with God.

The plot of the copy cat killer was thrilling and suspenseful. I actually did guess the killer as well as the reason why but the author did through a few twists in which made me question my guess. The ending was really suspenseful and I actually feared that one character will not have a happy ending.

It was quite on a different level with regards to the spiritual realm. There was a touch of it in book 1 an 2 but the spiritual warfare was really more in your face in this book. However, I was a bit disappointed that this side of the plot somehow felt more forgotten towards the end. There was a few things the author delivered in the first quarter of the book which was strong and left me thinking again about my own spiritual life.

For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.’”

“You’re weak. You haven’t prayed much lately. Why?”

I also enjoyed how Kaely's imperfections and struggles with life actually was a testimony for Noah.

It isn’t your success as a Christian that’s touched me. It’s your struggle. If your relationship with God is that important to you . . . Well, maybe a relationship with Him should be important to me too.”

The ending did not feel like Kaely and Noah's story was concluded, but only continuing and you were left with a promise of more to come.

“Yes, I have. I truly believe I’ll be okay now. I have authority over the Enemy, and I just need to use it. I guess I couldn’t accept the reality of what was happening. I mean, we read about the devil, but I don’t think we’re as vigilant as we should be.”

*I borrowed a kindle copy of this book.*

Related reviews (this series needs to be read in order):

Book 1 Amazon
Book 2

View all my reviews

About the book

When a body is discovered in a field in Iowa, the police uncover fourteen additional corpses ranging from 20 years old to recent. The remains point to a serial killer with an MO the authorities have seen before--Ed Oliphant, a man who has been in prison for over 20 years . . . and is Special Agent Kaely Quinn's father. After several failed interview attempts to discover if Ed has been training someone to be a copycat killer, the police turn to Kaely in St. Louis.

Kaely promised herself she would never step foot in her hometown or set eyes on her father again. She's always refused to confront her past, but if she wants to prevent any more deaths, she must come face-to-face with the man she's hated for years.
As more bodies are discovered, Kaely races against time and her own personal turmoil to uncover the killer. Will this most personal case yet cost Kaely her identity and perhaps even her life?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Can't Wait Wednesday! Hunting Justice

Can't Wait Wednesday  is a weekly meme hosted by  Wishful Endings  that spotlights and discusses the books we're excited about that ...