Thursday, June 30, 2022

Book Spotlight Fridays! When Death Draws Near

 

Book Beginnings and Friday56


Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your e-reader and share a non-spoiler sentence or two.

I'm back in the forensic world of Gwen Marcey.


When Death Draws Near




About the book:

Death has always been part of Gwen Marcey’s job. But when faced with her own mortality, everything takes on a different hue.

Forensic artist Gwen Marcey is between jobs and homes when she accepts temporary work in Pikeville, Kentucky. The Eastern Kentucky town, located deep in the heart of the Appalachian Mountains, has been plagued by a serial rapist and a series of unexplained deaths. Before Gwen can develop a composite drawing, the latest witness vanishes, just like all the previous victims.

Turning her attention to sketching the face of an unidentified body, she discovers a link between his death and a Pentecostal serpent-handling church. Serpent-handling is illegal in Kentucky, and the churches have gone underground to avoid the authorities and continue to worship as they believe. Gwen is offered a handsome reward to infiltrate the renegade members, a reward she desperately needs as it seems her breast cancer has returned.

Joined by her digitally-obsessed, Generation Z daughter, Gwen goes undercover to a nineteenth century revival, planning to draw the faces of the snake handlers so they can be identified and arrested. Instead she uncovers a murderous plot and a festering evil.

*************************************************************

Book Beginnings

MIRIAM KNEW, SHE KNEW TONIGHT WOULD BE the night the Holy Spirit would anoint her.

Friday 56

Thinking about spiders and snakes in the woods, I debated testing my bladder's capacity, but Aynslee was already giggling at my hesitation.

My thoughts so far

I'm 67% and still confused about who the serial killer is and what the story is with the Serpent-handling church.  All I know is someone is not telling the truth!

*************************************************************

16 comments:

  1. I had to laugh at the 56 as well. Hope it all makes sense when you hit the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Gwen delivers a few funny moments throughout the book.

      Delete
  2. The 56 is definitely funny, but that opening immediately grabbed me! I imagine this will be quite a task for Gwen to sort out and I hope the finale pays off for you as well! Thanks for sharing and I hope you have a lovely weekend :)
    Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an interesting book! And I like the "chatty" style of that 56 quote.

    Have a great weekend!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2022/07/01/friday-56-reckless-girls-by-rachel-hawkins/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a good forensic mystery! I'll have to grab this one. Lisa @ The Plain-Spoken Pen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that 56 quote. Looks like a good read. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those snippets. This is a series that I really need to read. It sounds so good! Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this one and hope you do too!! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seems like a page turner! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the 56 line! I've been there.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! Me too, especially if it is in the middle of the night and we are camping!

      Delete

Monthly Recap: April 2024

    I first saw this monthly reflections idea on:  Christian bookshelf reviews April had a few warmer days with some winter cold in between....