Thursday, February 17, 2022

Book Spotlight Fridays! After She Falls

 

Book Beginnings and Friday56


Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your e-reader and share a non-spoiler sentence or two.

This is a debut author, and a bit different since fighting is the sport front and center.


After She Falls




About the book:

Strong-willed Adri Rivera always dreamed of becoming a professional mixed martial artist, but then she fell in love with a man who smashed everything to pieces. When their tumultuous relationship finally comes to a head, Adri flees with their young daughter to her small hometown in the mountains of Pennsylvania. There, she must face the people she left behind and put her broken life back together as a single mother.

Adri struggles to regain her independence after so many years under the oppressive influence of her ex, but a job opportunity at a local gym gives her hope that she'll be able to stand on her own two feet. The one problem? The man who offers it to her is the handsome but hardened Max Lyons--her former best friend and training partner, whom she left heartbroken years before.

As Adri dares to pursue her dream again, training for a big tournament, can she confront her weakness and avoid the past defining her future?
 

*************************************************************

Book Beginnings

Adri doesn't turn on the radio or pull up Eva's playlist on her phone.

Friday 56

"Hi," he says, extending his hand.  "I'm Boom."
"Oh."  She's confused, but still shakes it.  "You're not Levi?"

My thoughts so far

This one is a bit different to what I usually read...some mentions of physical abuse and lots of fighting (sport), but I am intrigued on where this debut author is going.

*************************************************************

13 comments:

  1. This one does seem like it could be good. I hope you enjoy it. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why exactly doesn't she pull up the playlist? Very intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That opening definitely causes some questions, but I like the gist of it! It's always nice to try out new authors and new types of topics. I've not really read many books involved martial arts, but I can imagine it could be empowering for Adri to become physically and emotionally stronger through it! Thanks for sharing and I hope you have a lovely weekend :)
    Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, hope you enjoyed your weekend as well.

      Delete
  4. Martial arts! I hope you enjoy.
    Mine is in French this time: https://francebooktours.com/2022/02/18/le-promeneur-sur-le-cap-friday-56-vendredi-lecture/
    I have free copies and also a giveaway, so if you read French or have friends who do, please pass the information along. Have a great week-end

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. French is a language I would love to learn. When my husband and I visited Paris, we loved just listening to everyone speaking :-)

      Delete
  5. I am already rooting for Adri after reading the synopsis. It sounds like she's been through a lot. I hope you are enjoying it! Thank you for sharing and have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that cover and the snippets! Sounds like a good one! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that cover made me zoom in closer a few times.

      Delete
  7. Agree, good snippets. Could make for a good set up, draws you in to want to know more. My first Friday 56 and First Line Friday are up - http://www.lyndonperrywriter.com/2022/02/first-line-friday-naked-in-death.html

    ReplyDelete

Review: Flashpoint

Flashpoint by Susan May Warren My rating: ๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’› I loved catching up with Emily Micah who I first met as a little gi...