Friday, June 7, 2024

Book Spotlight Firday! The Road Before Us


Book Beginnings and Friday56


Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by My Head is Full of Books and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your e-reader and share a non-spoiler sentence or two.  First Line Friday is a weekly meme hosted by Reading is my Superpower that asks you to share the first sentence of the book you're reading.

A recent release and still new to me author.


The Road Before Us







About the book:


How far would you go to fix the mistakes you've made and regain the trust you lost? For Jade Jessup, the answer is 2,448 miles. Once one of Chicago's significant financial advisors, Jade lost her credibility when her fiancé (and coworker) stole millions of dollars from their clients in a Ponzi scheme. Now she's agreed to help one of them--an aging 1960s Hollywood starlet named Berenice "Benny" Alderidge--seek financial restoration.

Jade sets off along Route 66 with Benny and her handsome adult foster son, Bridger, who is filming a documentary retracing the 1956 trip that started the love story between Benny and her recently deceased husband, Paul. Listening to Benny recount her story draws Jade into memories of her own darker association with Route 66, when she was kidnapped as a child by a man the media labeled a monster--but she remembers only as daddy.

Together, all three of these pilgrims will learn about family, forgiveness, and what it means to live free of the past. But not before Jade faces a second staggering betrayal that changes everything.



*************************************************************

Book Beginnings

Miles from any high-rise, the generations-old asphalt crumbles beneath the soles of my borrowed boots, and I wish my story would fall through the hot cracks of Route 66 along with it.

Friday 56

Daddy would never want me to go back home to Mom and Hank.

My thoughts so far

So far I am enjoying this Route 66 road trip story.


   ************************************************************* 

4 comments:

  1. Looks like a great read for the season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one looks interesting, and I like the excerpts too. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a good novel. As an aside, I love stories about the old Route 66. My uncles have fond memories of driving the route, and are most familiar with the stretch in California. I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Saturday!
    I'm currently reading Her Part to Play by Jenny Erlingsson. So far, I am enjoying it a lot!
    "Adanne swallowed the lump in her throat and turned toward the mirror. The fluorescent bulbs highlighted the worry in her eyes that no amount of makeup could hide."
    I hope you are having a great weekend filled with lots of relaxing reading time. 😊❤️📚

    ReplyDelete

Book Spotlight Friday! One Last Stand

Book Beginnings and Friday56 Book Beginnings  is a weekly meme hosted by   Rose City Reader  that asks you to share the first sentence (or s...