Thursday, December 1, 2022

Book spotlight Friday! On My Honor

    

Book Beginnings and Friday56


Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your e-reader and share a non-spoiler sentence or two.  First Line Friday is a weekly meme hosted by Reading is my Superpower that asks you to share the first sentence of the book you're reading.

Another part of WW2 history I did not know about!


On My Honor





About the book:

A Girl Scout Troop Joins the Battle of the Atlantic
 
Full of intrigue, adventure, and romance, this new series celebrates the unsung heroes—the heroines of WWII.
 
Ginny Mathis had no intention of staying rooted in the Outer Banks—then war broke out. While working as a clerk for Oregon Inlet ferry, naval officers ask her to be watchful for German U-boats reportedly spotted in the area. To help occupy her younger sister, Ginny enlists the Girl Scout troop she leads to help watch for suspicious activity. Soon the girls are sneaking around, hiding a shipwreck survivor. Ginny must take charge, but is this man the enemy, or does he hold secrets that could turn the tide of the Battle of the Atlantic in the allies’ favor?
 
​Don’t miss these other stories:
The Cryptographer’s Dilemma by Johnnie Alexander
Picture of Hope by Liz Tolsma
Saving Mrs. Roosevelt by Candice Sue Patterson
Mrs. Witherspoon Goes to War by Mary Davis
A Rose for the Resistance by Angela K. Couch
The Season of My Enemy by Naomi Musch
Escape from Amsterdam by Lauralee Bliss

*************************************************************

Book Beginnings

Timothy Elliott breathed in a chilly breath of salty air and closed his eyes.

Friday 56

"I don't sleep well, so it didn't bother me."
"You don't sleep? Then how in the world do you find energy to keep up with those girls?"

My thoughts so far

Enjoying this one. This is my first book by this author and her writing flows smoothly which makes reading feel easy and fast.                     


                                    ************************************************************* 

19 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting book. There are so many things about the War that I don't know about so it's always interesting to find out more!
    Have a great weekend!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2022/12/02/friday-56-christmas-at-carringtons-by-alexandra-brown/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I feel the same way! And this one even had a glimpse of the Great War as well.

      Delete
  2. I love the premise of this book. I was a girl scout many years ago and I love the thought of them searching for German U boats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, It was interesting to learn how they participated in the war efforts.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a great read!!! Might need tissues!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was actually quite uplifting - I think because it focused on 12/13 year old girls :-)

      Delete
  4. Happy Friday!

    I'm just starting Christmas Baggage by Deborah M. Hathaway.
    "Work was hectic, as usual, but adding the Christmas party on top of that made [Claire] run back and forth like a chicken with its head cut off."
    I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That book should be coming in the mail.

    My first line is from book three in the Waters of Time series by Jody Hedlund.
    Stay With Me
    Someone or something was watching her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not read this author either. I hope you enjoy it. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - hope you had a great reading weekend!

      Delete
  7. Oregon Inlet Ferry? I'm from Oregon and have not heard of such a thing. Heading to wikipedia.... My Friday quotes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My bad. Oregon Inlet is in North Carolina. Don't know my NC geography.

      Delete
  8. I have this one on my tbr list. I'm currently reading Five & Dime Christmas, a novella collection set in 1881 (which also has a story by Patty Smith Hall). The first line from the first story, "A Merry Little Christmas" by Susanne Dietze, is: "One false move, and Hattie Scott would surely ruin Christmas." ~ Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

Review: When the Day Comes

When the Day Comes by Gabrielle Meyer My rating: 💛💛💛💛 4.5 stars When The Day Comes was a time travel novel...