Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Series vs Stand-alone

 Do you prefer series or stand alone novels?




For me, there is advantages to both.  I have to confess, I do have an addiction to series, book related or television.  I probably watch between 3-5 series at a time, and am losing count of the amount of book series I have going.


A Stand alone is such a great option when I just need a break from the hundreds of series I do have going, for those times where I am looking for a great story but one which I can leave behind when I'm done.  Though, I have read a few stand-alone books where I would have loved a sequel!


But for me, there is just something special I love about series.  You get to meet a great group of characters and after the book is done, you are not finished with these new group of fictional friends.  And if you are really lucky, you start a series with a plot which keeps growing and only concludes in the final book of the series.  

The ones for me which stood out with a continuance of a plot, was: The Restoration series and If I run seriesboth by Terri BlackstockThe Deadly reunion series by Lynette Eason and The Tox files and The Book of the Wars series, both by Ronie Kendig



Then there are those with a great group of friends where you get to know the characters and feel part of the friendship: The Elite guardians by Lynette Eason and Chesapeake Valor by Dani Pettrey.

And then some of the best ones about a family or small community who grabs at your heartstrings and never let go.  The Baxter series by Karen Kingsbury, The O'Malley series by Dee Henderson, The Blue Justice series by Lynette Eason , The Deep Haven series and Christiansen family series by Susan May Warren and The Rock Harbor series by Colleen Coble.



These are just some of the series I have read over the years and loved.  I'm probably an author's perfect reader.  Usually I will finish a series I start, I have to read a series in order, and if I found out there is a connecting series, I have to read those as well.

So, what about you?  Do you prefer a stand-alone book vs series?  Or are you like me?  Addicted to series and having multiple series going on the same time?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Weekend Wrap-Up: May 5th

    It’s Monday! What are you reading?   is hosted by  Book Date . We had a wonderful week of summer weather which meant lunch picnics at th...